Cajun Shrimp Boil Soup


Yields:  6 - 8 servings

Moving to the south taught me a lot about food I never knew.  The first lesson I learned was that if you don't know what frogmore stew is you are not from the south.  That was me for sure.  For those of you that never heard of frogmore stew, it is really what I call a shrimp boil.  Shrimp, red skin potatoes, corn on the cob and cajun sausage.  It is a traditional summer meal friends gather together to share.  Well, I was craving frogmore stew but, I decided to make it into a soup since I am freezing here in North Carolina.   So, once again I take my northern roots and combine them with my new southern life.  This is very tasty.  Enjoy.


14 oz peeled and cleaned shrimp
12 oz cajun sausage
3 medium red skin potatoes chopped into small pieces
1 large spanish onion chopped
1 medium green pepper chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup white wine
2 T. minced garlic
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 lemon juiced
3 T. butter
64 oz. chicken stock or seafood stock
1 t. old bay seasoning
salt and pepper
1 T. natures seasoning
1 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. herbs de provence
1 35 oz. can whole peeled tomatos broken apart into smaller pieces to your taste
1 t. worcestershire sauce


Saute onions, garlic and green pepper in butter. Cook through.  Add white wine and bring to bubble.  Add corn, shrimp, sausage and tomatoes; simmer for 3 minutes.  Add chicken stock and all other ingredients.  Stir and simmer on medium to medium high for 1 hour. This is one of those soups that the longer it simmers the more the flavors pop, so don't rush it.  I tend to cook mine longer.   Stir regularly and bring all the flavors together.  Serve and Enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts