Italian sausage with peppers and onions


I really enjoyed taking a few days off to celebrate the holidays with family and friends, and I hope you did too! In between all the visiting and eating, I felt the need to hunt out family cookbooks, kitchen appliances, and kitchen gadgets!  Don't be afraid to have me over... I am just a kitchen and cooking junkie!

I think we can learn a lot from not being in our own kitchens over holiday celebrations.  I found myself observing other cooking styles and tastes.  It was a lot of fun.

Over the holiday break I decided I need to post some ideas for some warm and filling winter dishes.  I think this was inspired when I found myself freezing at my in-laws' home way up in Northern PA (it was 7 degrees)!  All I wanted was "winter food", whatever that is...  To me, it is pot pies, beef stew, hearty pasta dishes, and lots of casseroles, crock pot dishes, and roasts!  For the next few weeks,  I'll supply you with my favorite heart warming winter dishes.  I'll start today with Italian sausage with peppers and onions.  This can be served as a sandwich on a roll, or simply in a bowl on its own.  Either way it is hearty and delicious.  I also think this is a great dish for Sunday football games (keep it in mind also for the Super Bowl!).  It goes a long way - enjoy!


Yields:  8 servings


8 sweet or hot italian sausage links ( your preference)....I use sweet.
2 ...28 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 medium onions
2 medium green peppers
1 large red pepper
3 T. olive oil
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
4 cloves chopped garlic (or to taste..I like alot).
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. Natures Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Cook sausage  in oven on 375 for approx. 15 min. or until cooked through. Do not over cook as you are going to continue cooking in the sauce.

In large saute pan, saute onions with 2 T. olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until transparent.  Once transparent, add 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Cook for three minutes to desired texture and to infuse the garlic to flavor the onions. Remove onions and garlic from pan.

Add 1 T olive oil and saute green and red peppers with the remaining clove of chopped garlic.  Cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until desired texture.

When peppers are done cooking, add onions and sausages back to pan.  Add tomato sauce and herbs.  Simmer for 20 minutes or until desired flavor.

Serve either on a crusty roll and top with desired cheese (I choose sharp provolone ), or serve on its own topped with Pecorino Romano cheese to your taste.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts