Heavenly Linguine and Clams and Wine Sauce Class 101!

It's about time, isn't it?  I can hardly believe that I have never blogged my linguine and clams recipe!  I had no idea I had not done so until last week when I got an email from a very special student and friend of mine from North Carolina, Karen! 
 Karen emailed me requesting my recipe for linguine and clams.  She had recently enjoyed a nice pasta bowl full of this at a local restaurant, and really wanted to attempt to make it herself at home. After sharing all the many blessings and updates on her life, she asked me to guide her through this.  Karen expressed a concern about how to handle cooking with the wine!  
  I loved that Karen wanted to learn this technique, she was one of my "All Stocks Class",,where the students learned three stocks, chicken, beef and seafood.  Once you learn this, you are unstoppable in the kitchen!  Now, with this technique, the sauces you can create will be unstoppable as well.  See, Karen is a natural in the kitchen, she didn't even know that she is going to learn another cooking technique that will lead her down a new road of sauces, glazes, reductions and many delicious results! 
The next day, I wondered over to Costco for my normal shop.  
 COINCIDENTALLY?????????? they had a HUGE bag of Manila clams for only 15.00 from the Florida Keys....I jumped up and down!  I thought to myself, god is working here!  Karen needs her recipe and look what I fell upon, so Heavenly Linguine and Clams was BORN!  SO, Cooking class on wine sauce 101 will begin!!!!!!!!!!!

COOKING with WINE CLASS 101:

 It is not uncommon for a good cook like Karen to get inspired when eating a good meal out and hoping to come home to re create it herself!  I love that inspiration and I think it is what makes a good cook a great cook! 

 Great re created meals start with the importance to use your senses, every one!  Our vision is where we begin.............this is where I think Presentation and freshness come in full force!  We have the expression that we eat with our eyes first, so think color and freshness when it comes to our eyes!
 Then our sense of smell is actually where we start to taste our food.  Sounds crazy, I know, but, think about it.  We taste first with smell.  I have an interesting way of proving this to you.  Think about all those meals you have made all day..for example, Thanksgiving!  By the time we sit down as the chef or home cook, we are exhausted of course, but, we also are not very hungry!  The reason is, we filled up on the smell of food all day long!  Personally, I have had this experience a lot being in the restaurant business.  It is a true fact, I know first hand that this is TRUE! 
 Next, we taste and eat!  This is the obvious part, but, not so simple.  The reason is, we must identify all the ingredients. This starts with the fat in the dish, recognizing is it butter, olive oil, etc....then, what is the Mise en place, ( pronounced french term, meez en plas)...or the starter ingredients and prep, ie: garlic, celery, carrots, onions etc......, next, the obvious food parts, in this case is pasta and clams.
 Now the hardest part, what is in the sauce?  This is where it helps to have the knowledge of the type of sauce typically used in the dish.  Then the trickiest part,,,,,,seasonings!  This is where your tiny taste buds on your tongue have to win the oscar!  This involves detective work and a strong palate and awareness of herbs and flavors!  This cannot be taught over night,,you must earn this award from experience!!!!!!!!

We have established all the important senses and their role in the re creation of an amazing dinner out, now, you have to DO IT!  So, gather your imagination, put pen to paper and write your recipe from memory and all those senses we just learned about and then go shopping and re create your favorite meal out!

Karen, Here is my favorite version of Linguine and Clams,,,you can use all the ingredients or not.  I happen to use Proscuitto Ham in my favorite version below,,but, you can leave that out and keep it neat if you like!  I hope you enjoy Friend and amazing teachers pet! :)  ENJOY!

Linguine and Clams: 5 to 6 servings

Ingredients:
3 dozen Clams, cleaned and rinsed
1 lb. fresh Linguine cooked in very salty water!
4 cloves garlic
1/4 c. Extra Virgin olive oil
4 T. butter
1/2 c. chopped Italian Parsley
1 c. Fresh Parmegiano reggaino grated
1 c. dry white wine
Kosher Salt and Crushed black pepper to taste
2 T. capers( optional)
1/2 t. red pepper flakes plus a pinch at serving ( optional)
3 slices finely chopped proscuitto de parma ( optional)
2 finely chopped shallots
1/4 c. clam juice

In large sauce pan add butter, olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.  Heat on medium high for 1 to 2 minutes to season the oil and butter.  Add shallots and proscuitto and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.  I do not want you to salt at this point because the proscuitto is salty.  We will salt at the end!  Cook for 2 minutes stirring.  Add the white wine, clam juice, and rinsed clams, cover and steam until all the shells are open. ( approx. 4 minutes). Taste the sauce and salt as needed with your kosher salt and cracked pepper too!

When pasta is done cooking take your thongs and move the pasta from the pot into your serving bowl, add all the cheese to the pasta and a pinch of red pepper flakes and toss well.  Now add all the clams and sauce, toss well and top with fresh parsley and SERVE!  ENJOY NOW..............You just passed wine sauce 101!







Comments

Popular Posts