Lentil Soup, My 180th Blog!

AUTUMN LENTIL SOUP
180th BLOG!


Crisp Autumn air, the smell of football ,my favorite sweater hugging me, and the fall foliage color show all speak to me  saying, "Soup's ON!"  I am visiting my daughter in PA.  The air is so crisp and fresh, screaming FALL to me.  I always cook for her when I visit so she can have some home cooked meals.  Tis the weather and the season, we decided to make some soup.  So Autumn Lentil soup was dinner!  It was so delicious.  Makes plenty of soup for a couple of meals and or even some to freeze for that next busy evening when you need a quick meal that is still very tasty!  I have soup secrets that are key to making soup full flavored.  Check it out and don't tell anyone our secrets!  :)  

Ingredients:

1/2 bag of brown lentils rinsed
3 beef short ribs
olive oil
1/2 c. dry white wine
5 large cloves of garlic minced
6 slices or 1/2 c. of chopped pancetta 
2/3 c. chopped celery, carrots, and sweet onion EACH
3 to 4 c. chopped kale leaves, stem removed
salt and pepper to taste
8 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 star anise**  ( first secret!)
1 2 inch parmesan rind (second secret!)
1 large can of tomato puree
2 large boxes of chicken stock or 64 oz. homemade chicken stock
crushed red pepper to taste and is optional
Israeli cous  cous 1/2 c. is also optional,,,,I like to use it to make this a meal!
1/2 c. parmesan cheese 

In large pot add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil salt and pepper the beef ribs and sear on both sides on medium high heat.  Add in the pancetta and brown it.  Add in garlic and onion and brown all of this for a few minutes. 

 Add in carrots and celery. Salt and Pepper to taste.   Cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes.  Add in wine and stir allowing the alcohol to reduce for a few minutes. 

 Add in your chicken stock and tomatoes, and all herbs.  Bring to a low boil for 5 minutes.  Now add in the lentils and kale and  cook on medium low until lentils are tender. 

 Time is approx. 1 to 2 hours.  I like my soups to cook low and slow.  So be patient and let this cook on medium low,  for 2 hours and you will get the best results.  Just stir occasionally.  Keep the lid on for the first hour stirring frequently and controlling the heat so you are not boiling the soup.***( last secret! ).  ENJOY!








Comments

Popular Posts