The Kitchen Sink Frittata!




THE PERFECT FRITTATA!

The EGG!  Yes, The EGG!  My father and mother grew up in a time when eggs were served for dinner and lunch often!  Why? Well, the depression and an inexpensive protein that was affordable.  My grandmother Angie often more than not made my father Pepper and Egg sandwiches in his lunch box!  I know, It is hard to imagine. My father tells me he used to get offers to trade their sandwiches everyday he brought a pepper and Egg sandwich.  He usually took them up on it, obviously, because they had lunch meat or something that he rarely had the chance to eat either!  Some things never change at the cafeteria, generation after generation, our children still "trade" their food!
In honor of the Pepper and Egg sandwich and my Grandmother Angie and Dad, I decided to make a frittata for dinner the other night.  A lot of us are accustomed to omelets, a very french original that has become very American in hotels and brunches.  In Italy, we make Frittatas all the time, breakfast, lunch or dinner.  What is a Frittata?  Well, I'll give you a hint, it starts with EGGS!  This frittata, is really special though because it started one day of the week making roasted veggies in olive oil and garlic along with chicken.  The leftovers of the roasted veggies inspired me to use them up and hence the Frittata was created for dinner along with whatever cheeses were in my cheese drawer and then I thought, well, I need milk or cream, didn't have any, but, I did have mexican crema!  Problem solved and dinner was started!

Yes, the kitchen sink Frittatta!  We are in difficult economic times and this dish took care of leftovers, I am a big believer of waste NOT!  And it was delicious and economically prudent for sure!  Enjoy!



Ingredients:

8 slices pre cooked boars head bacon...chopped
4 EGGS
2/3 c. mexican crema, or ( cream, or half and half or sour cream, mascarpone, or creme fraiche)
1/2 c. Asiago cheese shredded
1/4 c. Pecorino Romano cheese grated
1/2 c. Sharp Provolone cheese shredded
basil to taste
crushed red pepper to taste
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped roasted red pepper from a jar

Yields 4 servings,
 Bake on 350 for 40 minutes

Grease:  8x10 pan

Veggies:  Roast 1 small chopped up small zucchini, 1 small yellow squash, 1 c. chopped onion, 2 bunches of spinach...top with olive oil, salt pepper and basil to taste, red pepper flakes if you like.  top with foil, bake on 400 for 25 minutes until tender.

In medium mixing bowl, add EGG, crema, salt and pepper to taste whisk until mixed completely.   Add in  grated cheeses and chopped roasted veggies and bacon.
Mix together and pour into baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until the middle is cooked through.  It will cook on the sides first into the center last.  ENJOY!

We like this with hot sauce or Chulula sauce.   Delicious with a side salad or a piece of crusty bread!   Yummy!  ENJOY!






















Comments

Popular Posts