SALMON CAKES IRON CHEF WORTHY!



SALMON CAKES IRON CHEF WORTHY


Sometimes I think it is necessary to take a classic item and turn it into something very special.  I love crab cakes.  I grew up on them living near the Delaware, Jersey Beaches and very close to Maryland!!  Let's face it, the Chesapeake Bay owns the best crab cake reputation in the Country with my vote!  
I've moved quite a bit and each State and  community I have lived has had all sorts of reasons for having very expensive crab or never having crab or having only canned crab to having an abundance of the finest crab!  It has been a total experience.  I decided recently that while crab is decadent and so festive, a very healthy alternative is Salmon.  I found excellent Wild Alaskan Salmon in a can at Costco!  Dr. Oz actually suggested using Wild Alaskan canned Salmon on his show.  I have always been a fan of salmon and even more so a fan of anything seafood made into a cake!  I decided to venture into making a salmon cake that was full of my favorite seasonings I prefer salmon to be made with, so we went ASIAN!  And if this is not Iron Chef worthy, I don't know what is!  I love these!  The best part is they are healthy, this recipe is inexpensive, and it makes quite a bit.  The other best part is they can be frozen for another time.  Try making baby salmon cakes for your next cocktail party!  You will save a lot of money and be the hostess everyone talks about! ENJOY



INGREDIENTS:


3 cans wild Alaskan salmon
1 T. chopped scallion( one scallion)
1/2c. finely chopped red pepper diced
1/4 c. finely chopped green pepper diced
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion diced
1T. minced garlic
3 medium mushrooms diced
2 T. Soy Sauce
1T. sesame sauce
1t. fish sauce
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. cream cheese
1 T. sesame seeds
1T. Worcestershire sauce
1 lemon juiced
1 c. panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1 T. grated ginger
salt and pepper to taste



Directions:


In large mixing bowl, we throw everything into the bowl EXCEPT for the Salmon.    Make sure to drain the salmon.   Mix all ingredients together  with your god given hands and blend all ingredients together.  Add the drained salmon and finish mixing together, allow the salmon to keep shape and do not over crush..we want lumps of salmon too, so  do not over mix.

Now you get to make your salmon cakes...just form into whatever size you like.  I make mine into a large golf ball and then flatten them for an entree.  For appetizer size, I would make them into a ball that will form into the size of a half dollar.  

Heat 2 T. olive oil in saute pan and brown each cake on both side and allow them to rest on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.   I serve mine with  cous cous or a fried rice.  You could top the appetizer ones with a little dollop of creme fraiche or mascarpone cheese topped with fresh chives and sesame seeds!  A garnish of a red pepper slice would also be festive!  ENJOY!




Comments

Popular Posts