Corn bread with Plabano pepper, sweet vidalia onion, creamed corn and NY SHARP cheddar cheese!

Homemade Buttermilk Corn bread with Plabano pepper, sweet vidalia onion, pancetta, and NY SHARP Cheddar cheese........Moist and silky a little sweet and savory, and , full of flavor~!
Well, what you don't know, is that this corn bread thing all started in Charlotte, NC...and Charleston, NC..and I have my own little private and quiet..so be quiet..southern thing going on...No one knows but you,,now......Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I am sick and tired of everyone thinking they have corn bread figured out.  Honestly,,,southern cornbread from my experience could ..well, CHOKE YOU?.. Shhhhhhhhhh!  Don't tell anyone.  My goodness!  Anyway,, It is an honor to have learned from the best southern cooks just how cornmeal works and how much I prefer to make mine moist and succulent! I do wonder what many me maws ago would think of my cornbread!  I am sure they would not like it...There's was for dunking!  Mine is for eating!  All good, either way! :)  Do Enjoy! :)

Ingredients:                                                                                       Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 min.in a
                                                                                                             greased 8x10 pan.
 2 1/2 c. flour
1c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 T. baking powder
2t. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk
1c. milk
2 large eggs
1 3/4 sticks of melted butter
2T. butter to grease your 8x10 pan
11/2 c. shredded fresh NY Sharp White Cheddar cheese1 c. in the mix and 1/2 c. on top of bread for browning.
1 medium vidalia onion chopped fine
1 T. . chopped garlic
1 medium poblano pepper cleaned and chopped fine no seeds
1 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
10 or more slices of Pancetta ham chopped fine
1/2 can creamed corn
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. smoked paprika

( If you like heat or spice, add 1 T. hot sauce)...plobano pepper can be hot or not,,,it depends on the pepper...so taste it first and then decide on your heat level you hope for.  I say this from experience.  I have had poblanos that have zero heat, and then again, some that will light my mouth on fire!  SO>>>.taste first! :and access! )  Good chefs always taste their ingredients! :)

In medium saute pan, add 1T. olive oil and 1 T. butter, add onions, garlic,  pepper and pancetta, salt and pepper,  and saute until pancetta is crispy and onions and peppers are tender.  Remove from pan and set aside.

In medium mixing bowl add, Flour, cornmeal, sugar, brown sugar, 2 t. salt, baking powder and toss, mixing for a minute.  Then add in buttermilk, milk, eggs, melted butter and mix.  Add onion, garlic,  and pepper and pancetta mixture and combine. Add in creamed corn, 1 c.  shredded cheddar,  and smoked paprika mix and finally add hot sauce to your desire...I like to add about 2 t. for a medium hot.  Or, leave it out all together and add a hot pepper or two more.  My suggestions are habanero,,1 maximum, or a jalapeno, or a sorrento, which is my favorite!  Your choice!

Add ingredients to greased pan and top with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake!  ENJOY !






.

Comments

Popular Posts