Proscuitto and goat cheese pizzettes with carmelized onions and pine nuts!

Proscuitto and goat cheese pizzettes with carmelized onions and pine nuts.


When I visit Italy, Proscuitto is EVERYWHERE!  It is not in small doses, it is big sides of it on a meat slicer from every angle.  But, I love it and really know I am getting the real deal when I see it hanging near a wait station in a restaurant in Rome.  I love when it arrives to my table right off the slab with some bread and sharp provolone cheese and olives.  NOW, I know I am in Italy!!!!!!!  It  is a staple at every meal, and yes, that means breakfast too!  Plain italian bread and a slice or two of proscuitto makes a fine breakfast, in a pasta for lunch or topping a pizza for dinner is another commonly seen way of using it. 

My favorite way to use it at home is to make " Pizzettes"  I put a little carmelized onion on a small 3 inch round pizzette as an appetizer, I follow with a beautiful subtle goat cheese ( chevre), Proscuitto slice, toasted pine nuts and you can even top with a small drizzle of honey if you like.

Enjoy!

Recipe:

Caramelized onions:

1 pizza dough from your grocer or from your local pizzeria
2 large onions
2 T. butter
2T. olive oil
1T. garlic
1T. sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Toppings:

1/2 lb. prosciutto ham sliced thin
8 - 12 oz. chevre cheese, goat cheese.  (NOT FETA)
1/4 c. toasted pine nuts
honey drizzled if you like it...this is not a necessary step, but, if you like it...feel free.

In large sauce pan melt butter with the olive oil.  Add the sliced onions and garlic.  Season the onions and cook on medium heat until caramelized.  Approx. 25 minutes.  Be patient, this is an important process that you cannot rush.  If you know you will be rushed make them a day ahead of time. They are even better the next day.

Roll out the pizza dough and using a round glass or cookie cutter, cut into rounds.  Size doesn't matter, mine were about 4 inches.  I made them small enough to be an appetizer.  You could make this one big pizza too if you wished.  Brush the dough with olive oil and bake until cooked.

Top cooked pizza with chevre cheese, caramelized onions, prosciutto and pine nuts.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts